1 September 2017

Now without bugles!!!


That's what I said - without bugles!!!

Several people have remarked on problems with bugle beads and them cutting the thread.  Since then I've learned to pull them onto picots/thread VERY carefully!!!  

So when I was rummaging around in my beads the other day I came across these beads (see the centres of the two snowflakes below) and decided to try them - they're ¼" too.

I was showing them to Ruth in Canada as we were discussing the technique and she said 'oh, those are rice beads'.  Well, I never knew they had a name!!  Thanks Ruth.  They work really, really well in this snowflake and if you have any ¼" rice beads you can use those instead of bugles.  RESULT!!!!!

7 comments:

God's Kid said...

Awesome!!! :)

Unknown said...

Hmmm... I would prefer the rice beads to the bugles - With the rice beads in the centre, these snowflakes looked even more elegant when compared to the bugles.

Jane Eborall said...

I totally agree with you, Unknown. I prefer the shape of them in the middle of this pattern.

Suztats said...

I like the look of the rice beads, too, but for anyone who wants to use bugle beads: in order to prevent the sharp edges of bugle beads cutting the thread, add a seed bead to each end of the bugle bead.

Tim Kaylor said...

I think I like the rice beads better. Perhaps I can find some and try it.

Madtatter80 said...

Ahh much better for me anyway love them rice beads🌹

Jane McLellan said...

Oh, I have some rice beads somewhere, I can use them, great.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.