11 November 2015

Something different!

Here's what I was talking about yesterday.   Remember this?  Well further progress has been made!!!

What I like about doing patchwork by hand is the different stages.  First the decisions on what fabrics to use, then the cutting out of the pieces AND the cutting of the paper inserts (thank you to Howdens kitchens for their now 'redundant' catalogue) and then the sewing of the papers into the fabric.

Finally comes the sewing of the pieces together. 

Once the papers are tacked in I place them around the finished part on the carpet - you're getting lovely pictures of our carpet thrown in for FREE too!!!! Then I take a photo, gather up the pieces and retire to 'tat corner' (with BC3, of course) to stitch them together - referring to the photo when needed. No pesky beads to keep escaping - pure relaxation!!!!


11 comments:

Pigmini said...

November work.... poppy in the middle I notice!! How big are your hexagons?? Looking good Miss! (So's the patchwork.... VBG)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Lovely patchwork! I'm glad to know that your carpet is your chosen background. It makes me feel like I'm in good company!

Jane McLellan said...

Splendid. I made a cushion like this when I was first married (36 years ago!) but nothing as big since. I have used pentagons the same way - amazingly they join to make a ball.

Cindy said...

Wonderful patchwork. I admire anyone who pieces by hand! I much prefer machine sewing, especially those smaller pieces. You must have the patience of a saint :)

Jane Eborall said...

Poppy? I didn't see that. The hexagons are 1 ½" each side or 2 ½" flat side to flat side across OR 3" from point to point!!!

Jane Eborall said...

Ah, Cindy, I enjoy sitting back in the armchair and sewing. Machine sewing makes it more like a 'business' and hand sewing more like a hobby! Well, I understand what I'm trying to say! I think!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Cindy wrote exactly what I was thinking! Even though I did some hand piecing for a class many years ago, I gave it up rather quickly. I kind of have an aversion to using a needle and thread (especially for maintenance sewing!). However, I did a lot of cross-stitch ('creative' artwork),but put it aside after learning to tat). And I do love to hand quilt, as I find it so relaxing, but it also takes too much time and makes my fingers sore! Obviously you hand piece as quickly as you tat! This is such a great way to use up one's fabric stash.

Crazy Mom! said...

This is soooo beautiful. How big is it and what's it to be used for when you're done?

Jane Eborall said...

I'll measure it later, Crazy Mom. Not decided what it's going to be yet, though!

muskaan said...

I Love your idea of taking a pic for reference ! Very practical and handy .

Umintsuru said...

Hi Jane,
I was thinking of starting a machine-pieced patchwork. I like your tip of taking a photo before sewing. Thank you. I have hand-pieced two blankets this way. Yours is looking lovely.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.