23 November 2015

A bit of a teaser!!!!

Before you all start worrying - yes, I'm still tatting. Can't break the habit of almost a lifetime, can you?

Today I'm showing you further progress on the patchwork. This photo was taken a week or more ago so and is well out of date as the item is actually now finished!!!!

As you can see - this is the back of the 'whatever it is' with all the papers in.  I tried another way of sewing round the papers which I thought was a brilliant idea. 

It involved just turning the fabric over the paper and catching (just the fabric)  at each of the corners. This meant no sewing through the paper which made it much faster. BUT I soon found that the papers quickly 'popped out' when I was sewing the patches together   So I went back to the original method of sewing through the paper. Not that it bothered me and it was a good experiment. Maybe I did something wrong so I'll wait for guidance from proper patchwork people over where I went wrong!!!!

5 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

My mother was into quilting and took many classes, this is one way to get it perfect, she taught me cool ways to cut them out that was very efficient too.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That looks like an awful lot of work, but I may have to try it some day.

StringyDogs said...

Have faith. BC-3 is being amused, I'm sure (ha ha).
Piecing a quilt is really hard. I've made some stabs at it and, well, lets just say I will stick to tatting!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Do I understand correctly that you are hand sewing all these pieces together? This would be a little too labor-intensive for me!

I recall in my quilting days (1990s) making shapes for applique. Back then the 'new' method was to use white 'freezer' paper ( like wax paper but much heavier) with a shiny side which amazingly, the shiny side would temporarily adhere to fabric by use of a warm iron applied on the non-shiny side; and it was used for cutting out accurate shapes for applique. It stayed in place while cutting and sewing, and could be pulled out without leaving a sticky residue. The freezer paper was inexpensive, but the quilting companies would charge more for the same kind of paper!

Jane Eborall said...

Yes, all sewn by hand - so relaxing too. I wish I'd known that trick with the freezer paper before I started!!!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.