28 February 2014

Possum


After a diversion into the layered SCMR it was time to return to the critters!!! 

According to Gary this one was devised for a group in Brasstown (which is in North Carolina). The town is famous for it's 'possum drop' on New Year's Eve. You can read all about it here.

Gary devised this as he'd been there and - well, this is what he said.

"Because of the notoriety the only General Store in town sells all kinds of possum things. They have stuffed possums, canned possum, road kill menus, ceramic possums. Randy brought back a T-shirt that had a picture of a possum in it that said 'The Other, Other, White Meat'. When I was in the store one time I made a comment that they didn't have a tatted possum - - sooooo. I made a few samples when I taught the class and gave one to the education director and took one over to the store. They now have a tatted possum and loved it."

I too have a tatted possum (we don't have possums here in the UK) which I love, love, love.  I did see one once in the USA when Sally and I were staying with CrazyMomTats.  He was dead in the road and I think her neighbours were a tad surprised to see an old git taking photos of it!!!



17 comments:

Pigmini said...

So... is the bottom photo the 'ex' possum then Jane?? VBG

Orsi said...

Incredible!!!

Maureen said...

If he were a Queensland Possum, he would have a very long tail and jump on your roof sounding like an elephant in the middle of the night. This one looks cute and fluffy.

TotusMel said...

I about died laughing at the bottom photo. We've seen his kind often!

Crazy Mom! said...

The bottom photo is possum as road kill! SO funny!

Anonymous said...

The bottom photo is the way we see most possums around here. ;-)
StephanieW

Unknown said...

Taking a picture of a dead possum in America is like taking a picture of the rain in England. Love the tatted version, especially the road kill one.

Texas Tatter said...

The bottom picture is definitely how we see most 'possoms in Texas. How 'bout a tatted armadillo, Jane?? The unofficial animal of Texas! We'd also love a tatted horned toad (aka horney toad here :-) )

Jane Eborall said...

Well, folks, I nearly put the only 'real' possum I've ever seen at the bottom of this post. It was dead in the road. Texas Tatter - you'll have to ask Randy and Gary for an armadillo or just buy their book and design one yourself!!!!! Now I MAY be able to make you a flat armadillo and toad.

God's Kid said...

If I have to say any possum is cute it would be yours!!! :)

Tally Tatty said...

This is not happening! Firstly Jane'possum is the cutest thing i have ever seen!
Secondly: dear american tatters ,why are you laughing with poor dead possums? Can't you DO something about these road accidents. make possum crossings? The clever possums will learn this fast! Here in Belgium , it is the season where volunteers help toads and frogs to cross the roads to their breeding grounds, and we have toads crossings.

Jeff Hamilton said...

Tally Tatter: I don't think crossing would work for possums. You are aware that they play dead AKA play possum when they are scared? They play dead for vehicles too, which is why they are getting hit. They'll drop down and play dead while crossing the road if a car comes. I don't think everyone driving who comes across a possum on the road is going to stop and check to see if it is alive or not.

Your tatted possum is so cute. I was going to laugh at you for taking a picture of a dead possum, but since I don't think we have them in Canada either, I might have joined you.

Tally Tatty said...

Thank you, Jeff,
Now I understand! That is an interesting behaviour! Some ducks do that too. I learned a lot about your continent since I started tatting again.

Crazy Mom! said...

Dear Tally Tatter:
The 'possums of North American (their correct name is opossum) are very primitive creatures and are VERY dumb. Clever they are NOT. They are also the only North American marsupial. Since there are no other ones, you can bet that this is not a clever species and only survives with primitive behavior. 'Possums live in woods and don't do well crossing roads.

Marla said...

you know.... if you left of the tail... made larger picots and cut them... and shortened the snout... this would make a really cute Hedgehog!!! :)

Jane Eborall said...

Well, Maria, the hedgehog was posted a few days before the possum!!! Here he is http://janeeborall.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/after-mouse-comes.html

linb54 said...

lol too cute! especially like the last photo. I laughed out loud when I saw it. ;)

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.