25 May 2011

First of the new crosses!

I'm spending time over the next few days making sure these crosses are OK to go on the pattern site here!!!  The main check had to be made on the quantity of thread needed for them!!!  Just hope that they're right!!!

The first one today is the Celtic cross.  Now here in tat land the word 'celtic' has become used for certain types of tatting techniques.  Originally the term was used by Rosemarie Peel back in the 1990's when she devised several patterns which each consisted of three parts.  Two of these were made and then interwoven.  The third element then 'locked' them in place.  This interweaving was why she termed it Celtic tatting.

Later on the term has been used for what I refer to as celtic KNOT tatting where a long chain is made and then this is tied to make a knot.  

My work goes back to the very simple basics of looking at 'celtic crosses' like this one here.  Anyway, in this pattern there are no 'startings and stoppings' and no knots to tie (well, except at the end)!!!  It is worked in one piece too with an unusual 'start'!!!  I've added instructions for beads too and also how to make it into a bookmark.  Here's the link to the pattern on my site.

6 comments:

Decoromana said...

I love it! Thank you for sharing the pattern, Jane!

John said...

Very cool!

Maureen said...

Thank you! - this is the one I've been admiring so much, I love it!

God's Kid said...

That is neat! :)

Valerie said...

goody, jane, this cross looks simple and apt for many occasions. can't wait for the pattern!

Art by JoyMac said...

Just too gorgeous
Hugs
Joy in OZ

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.