9 October 2010

Karey's HDT

As a MOG (miserable old git) who wouldn't give house room to HDT threads for ages I must admit I'm totally and utterly reformed and addicted - as you have probably gathered over the past year or so!!!!

When Sandra sent me her wonderful surprise t'other week there were three skeins of HDT in it.  Of course these HAD to be 'tried out'!!!  So (me being me) this selection of HDT also had to have a new pattern too. - thus the Flurry Heartache (see below).  These threads are from the dyer Karey Solomon.  Now, this lady is an expert at this craft - well both crafts tatting and dying (not to mention many, many others too).  I once dropped in at a lesson she was teaching about dying down at Palmetto Tat Days a few years ago - fascinating presentation and SO interesting.  I've asked her about her tatting threads and this is what she said.

"I’ve got any and every range possible.  I generally dye threads in dyelots of about 10 skeins each.  Unlike many dyers who dip-dye threads, which means regular, sometimes long repeats of very few colors with little to no blending, I hand-paint “prints” on the thread, so they’re more calico and more colors because they are intended to blend.  I’ve got a huge investment in dyes, for both wool and cotton – because they’re different dyes and very different dye processes! - more dyes for cotton, as it happens.  So I can produce quite a range.  You could, for example, request particular colors if you like, I’m always open to suggestions. I’m experimenting with limiting the blending by thickening some of the colors before applying them.
People can always email me for information, and I can send a current photo of what’s available.  Each dyelot is different.  And I’ll send them anywhere, the shipping cost is only the actual cost of mailing.  Please ask more questions!"

So, there you are.  What is Karey's email address, I hear you ask!  Here it is.

7 comments:

Sharren - Tatting in Greenwood, South Carolina said...

I love the heart in the heart! Beautiful and elegant. Where did you find the metal heart dangle which fits your lovely tatting so well?

Jane Eborall said...

Oh I was wandering through the town and saw a gift shop closing down and they had these for sale so I went in and bought them. You know what a kind soul I am I just had to help those people empty their shop!!!!!! They screamed 'tatting' at me!!!!!

God's Kid said...

Ultimately beautiful! :)

TAT19540 said...

Truly lovely Jane. Look forward to pattern(hint,hint) to try! Love the thread color. So happy you came over to the HDT side! lol.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love it in the heart frame! It's simply lovely!
Karey's HDT is beautiful!
~TattingChic ♥

Margarets designer cards said...

Stunning is the only word I can use for the heart and I love the heart ring, pity they were closing down we would have all be rushing to get them. well done for finding them and yes they do say tatting. Love the colour and I have had a look at her wed site and her threads are beautiful, Margaret

Fox said...

Love the new look!
Fox : )

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.